Quite a few people have told me about this combination (including my mother) but I had never tried it, until recently.
The water had been draining very slowly after my daughter’s bath so we finally tried the following:
- Removed the grate from the bathtub drain
- Poured baking soda into the drain until it was full (~ a small box)
- Slowly poured ~ 4 cups vinegar into the drain
- Let the bubbling combination sit for ~ 10 min
- Poured ~ 4 cups of boiling water down the drain to wash away the baking soda & vinegar
- Cleaned the drain grate & replaced it
I could not believe how quickly the water flowed after bath time! (Ta-Da)
I have to say, I was quite surprised at how well it worked. (I guess mom really does know best)
We did the same with our shower drain and it worked just as well. The added bonus in the shower was that it cleaned the floor around the drain.
Go Green: Before you pull the plug on your bath, use the water to water your plants.