Sunday, April 10

The ultimate reuse

Post from the Past:

My 5 year old niece saw a commercial for Locks of Love which showed a little girl without any hair. My niece was very upset by the commercial. She said that she felt really sad for the little girl and wanted to give her some hair.

And that is just what my niece did.

She cut off 7 inches of her long beautiful hair and donated it to Locks of Love.

Is that not the sweetest thing that you have ever heard of?

For those of you who may not know what Locks of Love is, here is a synopsis from their website:

"Locks of Love is a public non-religious, non-political, not-for-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics".

My sister was very surprised at how adamant my niece was about doing this. They waited a couple of months after she saw the commercial to be sure that this was really something she wanted to do.

It was.

My niece was a little shocked at first when she looked in the mirror and saw 7 inches of her hair gone but she reminded herself of why she was doing it and was ok with it. She is already talking about doing it again for another little girl.

What a generous act for a 5 year old!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

AWW!! How sweet! I keep thinking I need to grow my hair out long enough to do that...

Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne said...

What a wonderful gesture! So proud of such a little girl to make such a huge choice!

I did mine about a month ago, and love the feeling :)

13 inches!!
http://crunchygreenmom.blogspot.com/2009/01/locks-for-love.html

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

I saw the great pictures you posted of the process! I will have to show them to my niece. 13 inches is a lot! It would take me years to grow my hair that long. ;-)