Tuesday, June 9

Lovin my Twist Sponge Cloth

A while back I was given a Green Irene Gift Certificate and one of the items that I purchased with my GC was a pack of Twist Sponge Cloths.

What if a sponge and a paper towel had a love affair? The result would be these biodegradable and compostable Sponge Cloths.

Replaces 17 full Rolls of Paper Towels
Safe for all types of cookware (including non-stick)
100% biodegradable
Use for kitchen or bathroom surfaces
Compostable
Absorbs like a sponge

To clean and disinfect the sponges, you can put them in the dishwasher, place them in the microwave for one minute, or boil them. (I actually put mine in the wash with the towels and that works just fine.)

At first I was not sure what I thought about them but the more I use them the more I love them. They actually remind me a little of a car shammie.

I have used the same pretty blue one every weekend now for the past 4 months to clean my sinks, shower and bathtub with and it still looks, feels, and cleans like new.

I use the twist sponge with baking soda and vinegar to clean my stainless steel kitchen sink and it scrubs off the yuck without leaving any residue behind. It really is quite amazing.
Afterwards I rinse it out with hot water, put it in the microwave for 1 minute and then use it to clean the bath room sinks.

What I have found is that I only need to use a small amount of my Method All Surface Cleaner™ because the cleaner does not soak into the twist cloth (this is something that I did not know the first time I used it so I spent a lot of time and wasted a lot of water rinsing)
It scrubs without having to put forth a lot of elbow grease and it wipes away the yuck without leaving any behind. I can literally wipe once and up comes the dirt, grim, hair and cleaner without having to go over and over the same spot. (I think it is this feature plus their feel, that remind me of a shammie)

After the sinks are nice and clean I move onto the tubs. Once again, a little cleaner goes a long way! (method's tub 'n tile bathroom cleaner: this biodegradable formula takes away soap scum, hard water stains and mildew, leaving nothing but a spa-like eucalyptus mint scent in its wake.)

Last week I found these same sponges at the natural food store where I shop. They are a little more expensive than buying them on-line but when you factor in the cost of shipping (not to mention the extra packaging materials and carbon footprint for shipping) the extra $ seems worth it.

I still use the Method biodegradable wipes to clean my toilets with but for everything else I use these twist sponge clothes and I am really loving them.

The different colors are nice as a way to keep their uses separate (blue for bath, yellow for dishes, green for kitchen). I have not tried them on my pots and pans yet but I am confident that they will work just as well for them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the Skoy cloth - 100x's better!

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

thanks for the suggestion. i will have to try that next.

Nicole Feliciano said...

Thanks for this review. I'll see if our coop carries them.

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

Your Welcome. I truly love mine!