Tuesday, September 8

100% Organic Cotton PJs

Last week I stopped at Costco and was pleasantly surprised by the first display item that I came to.

***100 % Organic Cotton Pajamas for children size 6 months to 10 yrs for $11.99!

I was so excited!

I immediately scooped up a pair for each of my children. And yes, they are very soft (something that both my children happily noted when I had them try the new PJs on)

Here are a few reasons why I was so excited to find reasonably priced organic cotton clothing:

  • Organically grown cotton is not treated with pesticides, herbicides or petroleum based fertilizers.

  • Conventional cotton is one of the most chemically-dependent crops: 10 percent of all agricultural chemicals & 25 percent of insecticides on 3 percent of our arable land
    1/3 of a pound of chemicals are needed to produce enough cotton for a T-shirt and 3/4 of a pound for a pair of jeans!

  • Compost, frequent crop rotations and cover crop strategies replace synthetic fertilizers to keep the soil healthy and productive.

  • Weeds are controlled by innovative farm machinery, hand labor or flame devices rather than herbicide applications.

  • Organic farmers cultivate a diversity of natural enemies which prey on insect pests, and lure pests away from cotton by planting trap crops.

  • Organic growers shut off water early, and apply certified materials to promote cotton boll opening and leaf dropping, readying the fibers for harvest.

Costco also has a whole section of natural and organic baby products that you can purchase on-line. Products such as:

I am really glad that big box stores, like Costco, are adding organic/natural products to their inventory at a price that is equivalent no non organic products. Making them more afford and assessable to all!

When I looked closely at the label I was a little disappointed to see that the PJs were made in Korea and not the USA.

I also saw that the PJs were not flame resistant, another +.

No comments: