He could hardly believe the wonderful relief he felt after just 1 use. From that moment on, The Neti Pot has been in regular use at our house.
My 9 yr old son actually uses it too, with daddy's help of course, and will even ask for it when he feels like he needs it.
The first time we ever saw/heard of this little contraption was on the HBO show Six Feet Under. Of course we giggled about using a tea-pot looking contraption to pour salt water through nostrils, I mean who wouldn't?!?
That is literally all you do.
Mix up a warm salt water solution, slowly pour half of the solution through one nostril, yucky stuff drains out the other side, then switch sides. After the solution is all gone, you blow your nose like crazy the breath freely for days.
My son is usually good to go for about a week while my hubby is good for about 3 days.
We still giggle about it but we also tell everyone we know how well it works! We even convinced my SIL to try it. She reluctantly did so and is glad she did! After years of migraines and sinus headaches she too has found relief.
Here are a few excepts from Web MD about The Neti Pot:
- Many sinus sufferers have turned to nasal saline irrigation, a therapy that uses a salt and water solution to flush out the nasal cavity.
- Although nasal irrigation using the Neti pot has been around for centuries, its use is on the rise in the U.S., thanks to an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show and a fair amount of news coverage.
- The Neti pot originally comes from the Ayurvedic/yoga medical tradition.
- Many patients with chronic sinus symptoms from bacterial infections, allergies, and environmental irritants also have begun to regularly use the Neti pot or other nasal irrigation devices, claiming that these devices alleviate congestion, facial pain and pressure, and reduce the need for antibiotics and nasal sprays.
- Research backs up these claims, finding that nasal irrigation can be an effective way to relieve sinus symptoms when used along with standard sinus treatments.
- The basic explanation of how the Neti pot works is that it thins mucus to help flush it out of the nasal passages
- Saline solution can help increase the speed and improve coordination of the cilia so that they may more effectively remove the bacteria, allergens, and other irritants that cause sinus problems
It is very important to properly and thoroughly clean the Neti Pot after every use to prevent infection.
The one that we bought came with 50 packets and detailed instructions on how to use and clean it.
Most stores now sell the Neti Pot and refill packets next to all the sinus relief medicines.
Now that the cold dry weather is coming back so is our Neti Pot!