Clif Bar & Company Announces Voluntary Nationwide Recall of CLIF® and LUNA® Branded Bars Containing Peanut Butter Due to Possible Health Risk
Contact:Clif Bar & Company1-800-254-3227
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- BERKELEY, Calif., Jan 19, 2009 -- Clif Bar & Company today announced a voluntary recall of CLIF(R) and LUNA(R) branded bars that contain peanut butter because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products contain peanut butter manufactured by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA). PCA is the focus of an investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concerning a recent Salmonella outbreak thought to be caused by tainted peanut butter.
The following Clif Bar & Company products with "Best By/Sell By" dates ranging as shown below, in all sizes and packages, are included in the recall:
- Clif Bar Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch BEST BY/SELL BY: 21JUN09 to 01OCT09, and 03NOV09 to 28NOV09
- Clif Bar Crunchy Peanut Butter BEST BY/SELL BY: 21JUN09 to 01OCT09, and 03NOV09 to 28NOV09
- Clif Bar Peanut Toffee Buzz BEST BY/SELL BY: only 13SEP09
- ZBaR Peanut Butter BEST BY/SELL BY: 07JUL09 to 05SEP09, and 12NOV09
- Clif Builders Peanut Butter BEST BY/SELL BY: 19JUL09 to 30SEP09, and 05NOV09 to 18NOV09
- Luna Nutz over Chocolate BEST BY/SELL BY: 29JUL09 to 03OCT09, 11NOV09 to 14NOV09
- Luna Peanut Butter Cookie BEST BY/SELL BY: 02OCT09 to 03OCT09, and 11NOV09 to 14NOV09
- All Clif Mojo Bars BEST BY/SELL BY: 30APR09 to 21JUN09
These products were sold in grocery, warehouse and other retail stores throughout the United States.
No other CLIF or LUNA products or flavors are included in this recall.
For the complete list of recalled items click Here.
I have contacted Cliff Bars and am waiting to hear back from them. Meanwhile all my Cliff and Luna bars are in a bag awaiting disposal.