My children and I love blueberries. We eat them by the handfuls, mixed in our yogurt or topped on our cereal. My husband on the other hand….not a big fan of blueberries.
Leave it to him to find a way to make the blueberries yummy enough that even he will eat them.
Blueberry Crumb Bars:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cups fresh blueberries (about 15 ounces) or one 12 ounce package frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- 1 cup blueberry preserves (10 to 11 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
Making the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Butter bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking pan
- Whisk flour, oats, sugar, salt, & cinnamon in large bowl.
- Add 1 cup butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture sticks together in small clumps.
- Transfer 2 cups to medium bowl, mix in almonds, and reserve this for topping
- Press remaining crumb mixture evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake crust until golden and just firm to touch (about 22 minutes)
- Cool 10 minutes
Making the Filling:
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl
- Spread evenly over cooled crust in pan
- Sprinkle reserved topping over the filling
Bake the bars until the filling bubbles thickly at edges and topping is golden brown (about 40 minutes).
Cool in pan on a rack.
Cut lengthwise into 4 strips then cut each strip into 6 pieces.
Enjoy with a fresh brewed cup of organic coffee or black tea. (At least that is how I enjoy them. My kids and husband prefer to enjoy then with a glass of 1% organic milk. Either way, they are very enjoyable!)