Wednesday, April 6

Blueberry Crumb Bars

My son’s school has an annual auction (these days, what school doesn’t). One of the items that we purchased from the auction was organic blueberries. Locally grown, fresh picked, plump, yummy, delivered to our home, organic blueberries.

My children and I love blueberries. We eat them by the handfuls, mixed in our yogurt or topped on our cereal. My husband on the other hand….not a big fan of blueberries.
Leave it to him to find a way to make the blueberries yummy enough that even he will eat them.
Blueberry Crumb Bars:

Crust Ingredients:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds

Filling Ingredients:
  • 3 cups fresh blueberries (about 15 ounces) or one 12 ounce package frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
  • 1 cup blueberry preserves (10 to 11 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel

Making the Crust:
  • Preheat oven to 375°F
  • Butter bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking pan
  • Whisk flour, oats, sugar, salt, & cinnamon in large bowl.
  • Add 1 cup butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture sticks together in small clumps.
  • Transfer 2 cups to medium bowl, mix in almonds, and reserve this for topping
  • Press remaining crumb mixture evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
  • Bake crust until golden and just firm to touch (about 22 minutes)
  • Cool 10 minutes

Making the Filling:
  • Mix all ingredients in medium bowl
  • Spread evenly over cooled crust in pan
  • Sprinkle reserved topping over the filling

Bake the bars until the filling bubbles thickly at edges and topping is golden brown (about 40 minutes).


Cool in pan on a rack.


Cut lengthwise into 4 strips then cut each strip into 6 pieces.


Enjoy with a fresh brewed cup of organic coffee or black tea. (At least that is how I enjoy them. My kids and husband prefer to enjoy then with a glass of 1% organic milk. Either way, they are very enjoyable!)

7 comments:

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

I just realized that I forgot to add a picture. Sorry about that. Next time hubby makes them (which I am sure will be soon) I will post a pic. Enjoy!

Kimbra Kasch said...

WE love blueberries too. We pop them like candy and get a sweet treat along with all our daily antioxidants. Yummy.

Thanks for popping by ECOwomen.net

Daisy said...

This looks delicious! I just bought blueberries, too. They're not strictly local (Michigan's U.P., not Wisconsin), but they're close enough to satisfy my inner locavore. I'll have mine with coffee, too.

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

Your welcome Kim. I heart that blog ;-)

These bars really are delicious Daisy....especially with coffee ;-)

SnoWhite said...

this sounds right up my alley!

annies home said...

sounds delicous

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

These really are very yummy. I love how soft they are. Let me know if you make them!