Tuesday, January 13

Cancelling catalogs

Once a week is “junk mail” day, the day where our mailbox is filled with catalogs and advertisements.

A while back I signed up for the “Please do not mail me unwanted credit card applications and a zillion other pieces of junk mail I don’t want” list (I am pretty sure there is a more technical name for it). This list works great except for catalogs.

Last week I sat down at the computer and went to each catalog site to request that they remove me from their catalog mailing list. Not an easy task considering that, with most of the sites, I had to submit my request via the “contact us” field and type in “other” as the subject topic.

I did find one easy site for catalog canceling; Pottery Barn.

Pottery Barn actually had a selection for changing your catalog requests which made the process quick and easy. Since I am a Pottery barn lover, I requested that they send me e-mail notices instead of mail catalogs. Within minutes I received an e-mail notifying that my request was processed.

Most other sites e-mailed me to say that my request could take as long as 4 to 6 weeks to process. Ugh.

Until then I guess I will continue to give some to daycare and recycle the others.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Use this site to opt out of catalogs. http://www.catalogchoice.org/

We get little to no junkmail after using the above and greendimes.com

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

Thanks for the info Lisa! I will go to those sites right now!