Friday, February 13

3 R Friday

Welcome to the 2nd installment of 3 R Friday.
When I started this blog my intention was to share simple ways I have found to darken my shade of green. In hopes of staying on track with that intention I am sharing one simple way for you to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle (the 3 Rs, not very original but it is to the point).


Reduce: Reduce your lunch time waste by packing a totally reusable lunch.
  • Pack a reusable napkin and real silverware (or bamboo ones) instead of disposable napkins and plastic utensils.
  • Buy items in bulk and divvy them up into small reusable containers.
  • If you take a drink put it in a reusable drink container.
  • Pack a sandwich in a reusable sandwich container.
  • Place all your reusable items into a reusable lunch bag.
  • Use an ice pack to keep your lunch food cold instead of putting it in a refrigerator.

I will let you in on a secret; I don’t usually wash containers that held things like a sandwich or crackers everyday unless they “need” it. Shh, don't tell anyone.


Reuse: Reuse your Valentine box.

Every year my kids are asked to bring a decorated shoebox to school to put their Valentine’s in. When they come home from their Valentine's Day party, they empty the box and I store it away for the next year. This morning while I was watching my son stuff his Valentine’s in the boxes I was happy to see that other parents did the same thing (it saves time as well as resources)


Recycle: Recycle used athletic shoes via Nike Reuse-a-shoe program.

Nike will take any brand of athletic shoe and turn it into things like running tracks, basketball courts, and playgrounds. You can drop shoes off at participating Nike locations or you can mail them to Nike. Easy Peasy!

Do you have 3 Rs that you would like to share?

No comments: